A brief summary The Carlsberg Foundation was established by Brewer J.C. Jacobsen under the Charter and Deed of Gift of 1876. The Carlsberg Foundation took over J.C. Jacobsen’s brewery, Old Carlsberg, following his death in 1888. In 1902, Carl and Ottilia Jacobsen donated the New Carlsberg Brewery to the Carlsberg Foundation. At the same time, they established the New Carlsberg Foundation as an independent foundation under the Carlsberg Foundation. The apportionment of the profits of the Carlsberg Breweries between the Carlsberg Foundation and the New Carlsberg Foundation was determined in 1916. From 1902, the Carlsberg Breweries were run by the Carlsberg Foundation as an independent commercial enterprise. This continued until 1970, when the Carlsberg Breweries merged with the Tuborg Breweries to become The United Breweries A/S. At the time of the merger, it was agreed that the Carlsberg Foundation should own at least 51% of the share capital of The United Breweries A/S. In 1987, The United Breweries A/S changed its name to Carlsberg A/S. In 1991, the Tuborg Foundation was amalgamated with the Carlsberg Foundation. In 2013, the Charter was amended to the effect that the Carlsberg Foundation would only be required to own a stake entitling it to at least 51% of the votes in Carlsberg A/S. This amendment gave Carlsberg A/S significantly increased capital resources through its issue of shares, while the Carlsberg Foundation retained the same controlling interest in Carlsberg A/S. In 2015, the Charter was amended to the effect that the Carlsberg Laboratory and the Carlsberg Research Center would be fully integrated under the name “the Carlsberg Research Laboratory”. The Carlsberg Foundation takes ownership of the Carlsberg Academy in 2017. The Carlsberg Foundation’s Charter is regularly aligned with the strategy and activities of the Foundation.